Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

Calm Things - The Book


Brenda Schmidt over at Alone on a Boreal Stage wrote this about Calm Things, my book of essays, in a recent blog post. Incredibly lovely! Brenda is a poet as well as an artist so her comments really mean a lot.


"Calm Things is indeed a gift in the fullest sense of the word. Calm Things by Shawna Lemay is the most beautifully written, generous and honest collection of personal essays that I've read in ages. Thought-provoking to say the least. Because the clean, pitch-perfect prose never calls attention to itself, I was left looking at a world through Lemay's eyes and with Lemay's clear, wide-angled vision. What I saw was a well-rounded world. A moving world. A world I both know and don't know."



In other news, Calm Things will be featured in an upcoming issue of the very beautifully designed magazine Notebook. I'll be sure and post when the issue is available. There will be excerpts from the book alongside images of my partner, Robert Lemay's, paintings. Can't wait to see the layout.

I'll be reading from Calm Things as well as from a piece I'm contributing to The Society out at St. Peter's College in Saskatchewan in March. Here are the details:

March 23, 2009
Launch of The Society
Featuring a reading by Tim Lilburn
along with Shawna Lemay, Kimmy Beach and selected contributors.

The evening will begin at 8:00 pm and will take place in Room 101 of Michael Hall at St. Peter's College in Muenster, Saskatchewan. All are welcome and refreshments will be served.

Calm Things - the blog - was given a nice shout out at Making a Mark. This is a blog well worth checking out. I've previously linked to the post on still life on the side bar. A great resource. Thanks to Katherine at Making a Mark!

Lastly, if you have time, please check out the Robert Lemay Zazzle Store I've set up to showcase my partner's paintings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...