Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

Alberto Giacometti - Still Life with an Apple

Still Life with an Apple, 1937
Oil on canvas; 28 1/4 x 29 1/2 in. (71.8 x 74.9 cm)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
The Pierre and Maria-Gaetana Matisse Collection, 2002 (2002.456.3)






excerpt from the poem "Desk" by Marina Tsvetaeva (in Selected Poems):

My desk, most loyal friend
thank you. You've been with me on
every road I've taken.
My scar and my protection.

My loaded writing mule.
Your tough legs have endured
the weight of all my dreams, and
burdens of piled up thoughts.

Thank you for toughening me.
No worldly joy could pass
your severe looking-glass
you blocked the first temptation,

and every base desire
your heavy oak outweighed
lions of hate, elephants
of spite you intercepted.

Thank you for growing with me
as my need grew in size
I've been laid out across you
so many years alive

while you've grown broad and wide
and overcome me. Yes,
however my mouth opens
you stretch out limitless.


(note: the spacing of this poem does not correspond exactly with the version in Selected Poems - blogger tends to wreak havoc with such things).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...