Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Gasp of Green Leaves, A Tremolo...


I carried this broken branch, this green wing, yesterday as I walked the dog.  This gasp of green leaves, this tremolo....



I came home and wrote five pages in my notebook.  The ending (one of the endings?) of my novel.  Afterwards, exhausted.  Fragile, shy.

I read this poem by St. Catherine of Siena which spoke to me so perfectly.


THE HYMNS OF THE EARTH

I wanted to be a hermit and only hear the hymns
of the earth, and the laughter of the sky,

and the sweet gossip of the creatures on my limbs,
the forests.

I wanted to be a hermit and not see another face
look upon mine and tell me I was not 
all the beauty in this
world.

For so many faces do that --
cage us.

The wings we have are so fragile
they can break from just one word, or

a glance void
of love.

I wanted to live in that cloister of
light's silence

because, is it not true, the heart
is so fragile and shy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...