Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Gestures which Small Flowers Make



The smallest flowers are sometimes the most poignant.  On the edge of a table, still damp with morning dew, perhaps.

Are you tired of my endless Rilke quotations yet?  Oh, I hope not!

"For poems are not, as people think, simply emotions (one has emotions early enough) - they are experiences.  For the sake of a single poem, you must see many cities, many people and Things, you must understand animals, must feel how birds fly, and know the gesture which small flowers make when they open in the morning."  ~ Rilke

I love what he says here, because as a child I spent a great deal of time imagining how birds feel when they fly, how they fly, feeling flying, feeling how.  And the gestures of small flowers in the morning, opening.  Of course.

Heard this song on the radio when driving around on errands this morning - made me happy.  Hope it makes you happy as well.  And it somehow reminds me of those morning flowers small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...