Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Subject to Various States



"Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” (Buddha)


I'm about to dive into my work, my novel, for the next several hours.  But wanted to share these photos.  There's something so magical about bleeding hearts - they send you directly back to your childhood.  Do you remember the story?




It's so nice to have the day to myself, quiet in the house.  Tomorrow is the last day of school for our daughter, so things will change after that.  We're enjoying the post-show quiet though, that retreat back into ourselves.  Back into the work.

I was reading The Drowned Book by Bahauddin (Rumi's father) yesterday, and thought the story of the official coming to visit him was quite wonderful and spoke to me so clearly. (I too am subject to various states).  He tells the man he 'shouldn't have gone to such trouble.'

"I am subject to various states.  In one state I can speak and in another I do not speak.  In another I can listen to the stories of other lives and respond to them.  In yet another I withdraw to my room and see no one.  In a further absorption in God, I am utterly distraught, unable to communicate.  It's too risky for you to come here on the chance I might be amiable enough to have conversation."  

1 comment:

  1. The quote is genius and completed describes me and my 15 year old, who has moved back with us from three years away at ballet school. Help me....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...