Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Certain Day


It's been over a month since Rob's show.  He went back to work painting a couple of commissions as soon as it was over. It's always best to be working.  But on the weekends, he took a 'break' by repainting our walls.  We've been very influenced by a book we've had for quite a while called Country Houses of Sweden, as well as various design magazines.  Our budget is small - allowing mainly for paint.  We had two pieces of non-valuable furniture that we thought we'd paint grey.  So C. and I did that.  Then I went to Anthropologie and bought two door knobs for the TV stand.  



We've slowly been re-hanging our art, a piece at a time.  Some of it is Rob's work, but we do have some pieces that we've 'collected' over the year that I'm quite proud of.  We sacrificed (if that's the word) vacations, fancy cars (Rob drove his Dodge Shadow for 18 years until just over a year ago) etc. but we do have several nice pieces of art.  Buying art is sometimes a matter of choice I think.  A flat screen TV or a painting?  I know, most people will choose the TV.

Anyway, we chose two shades of grey for the walls, for I am going through my grey phase, and we are completely blissed out by them. Meanwhile Rob is working on a painting for us, a rare thing.  There will be a post on that I'm sure when he's finished.  Sometimes I like to look at the stages of his work, the way objects and shapes emerge from his white canvas, but with this one I'm waiting and want to see it first fully finished.


I think I may be the only one that has enjoyed the rain we've had lately.  It's true, the month of July has been abysmal for sun bathing but it has been very conducive for holing up in one's room and writing.

"Let me walk through the fields of paper
touching with my wand
dry stems and stunted butterflies"

~ Denise Levertov


The above is from one of my walks with the dog. He's missed a couple of them, but usually I walk him in the morning and R. walks him in the afternoon.  It gives a nice rhythm to our days.

The last couple of days I took so many photographs, and I'm fond of them all.  It's like that - there will be lulls, dead spots, a span of time when nothing looks beautiful or worthy of photographing.  Nothing pours out of me, no words, nothing. And then others, certain days, an abundance, a resounding yes. It's important to mark these days, listen to them.

A poem from Denise Levertov's book Breathing the Water:


Variation on a Theme by Rilke


A certain day became a presence to me;
there it was, confronting me - a sky, air, light:
a being.  And before it started to descend
from the height of noon, it leaned over
and struck my shoulder as if with 
the flat of a sword, granting me
honor and a task. The day's blow
rang out, metallic - or was it I, a bell awakened,
and what I heard was my whole self
saying and singing what it knew: I can.


And the cookies are probably a separate post.  But they're part of the abundance.  I'm blessed with a child whose current passion is baking, and so we have baked together a fair bit this summer.  Baking, she says, makes her calm.  Which is funny, because cooking and baking have usually made me nervous. But she's enjoyed it since she was small and I've learned to enjoy it because of her.  At 13 she says she wants to be a pastry chef when she grows up, which I think is quite lovely.  


2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading this beautiful post. I so understand your 13 year old...baking makes me calm too. It will be beautiful to see her follow her passion. She would be very happy pastry chef and person :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Madhu! I think it would be lovely for her to follow this particular passion! i've never met an unhappy pastry chef : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...