Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Sense of the Beautiful



"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."
~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 

Isn't this good advice?  And just the seeking out of these three things - a poem or two, a fine picture, a song - this alone is good for the soul.  


So, a song for you:  




And the beginning of a poem by Jack Spicer which you must read for the last line:

A Poem Without a Single Bird in It
BY JACK SPICER
What can I say to you, darling,
When you ask me for help?
I do not even know the future
Or even what poetry
We are going to write.


~ the rest of the poem here.

Which leaves then, just the fine picture.  How about this one of nests by Van Gogh?



And that my friends was an example of a 15 minute blog post, which reminds me of those 15 minute mysteries I used to read as a kid in the summer.  Summer goes so quickly, who wants to (or is able) to spend more than 15 minutes on anything??  : )

3 comments:

  1. Well I just love everything about this post! Took the time to enjoy the song- to the last second- when I should be making dinner. It' true how little it takes to make you feel like your life if good: a little song, and the right words, and maybe a cupcake. I had two today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, i like this formula (love that song - the be good tanyas and friends entertain me often on pandora). i might just borrow your idea, with a little tweak, and write a 15 minute post: a picture, a song, a quote or a favorite sentence from a book (nothing against poems, i just tend to collect quotes and sentences and have no good place to put them besides my faulty memory). would you mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh, yes do Molly! i'll look forward to checking out your 15 minute post! : )

    and Lucy - cupcakes are always appropriate, I think : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...