Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

That Diabolical Happiness




"If you find an intelligent companion,


a fellow traveler


a sage of good conduct,


you should travel together


delighted and mindful,


overcoming all dangers.


If you do not find an intelligent companion,


a fellow traveler


of good conduct and wise,


travel alone..."
~from the Dhammapada




A book I return to often is the Dhammapada.  I have two weeks to myself for writing beginning tomorrow.  Our daughter is in two consecutive weeks of day camps which I think she will enjoy.  And the space for writing couldn't come at a better time for me.  {happiness}  Today will be spent organizing.  Baking cookies for her lunches. And cleaning my study so that the clutter won't be a distraction.  I love days like this.  I'm also going to unclutter my mind, and I find that doing a little meditation, reading a few of my favorite buddhist texts, is so useful.  It's a way of clearing out the unhelpful voices in my head, so that afterwards I can turn to my favorite writers, and fill my head with the voices I need and want to hear.  Helene Cixous, Clarice Lispector, Virginia Woolf etc.



"If while on your way,
You meet no one your equal or better,
steadily continue on your way alone.
There is no fellowship with fools."  

~ The Dhammapada



"Virtuous people always let go.
They don't prattle about pleasures and desires.
Touched by happiness and then by suffering,
The sage shows no sign of being elated or depressed."

~ The Dhammapada



And one of my favorites from the Vinaya Pitaka:

"Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so that he may be able to say thus:


In due season will I speak, not out of season.  In truth will I speak, not in falsehood.  Gently will I speak, not harshly.  To his profit will I speak, not to his loss.  With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger."

I follow this with the opening from Lispector's Stream of Life:

"It's with such intense joy.  It's such an hallelujah.  "Hallelujah," I shout, an hallelujah that fuses with the darkest human howl of the pain of separation but is a shout of diabolical happiness.  Because nobody holds me back anymore."

The book that always reminds me why I need to write, The Stream of Life.  That diabolical happiness, that hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...