Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Poem and Painting Pairing - Fanny Howe and Cornelis Brize



Lists are on my mind.  My desk is a sea of lists.  Mostly on yellow post-its.  So of course instead of tackling the things on the lists, I'm just thinking about how lists of things can become art.  In poetry, there is the catalog or list poem.  Sometimes the list is part of a poem, or part of a prose piece.  One of my favorites is by Fanny Howe from her Selected Poems and it is indeed part of a longer poem.  Here it is:

I won't be able to write from the grave
so let me tell you what I love:
oil, vinegar, salt, lettuce, brown bread, butter,
cheese and wine, a windy day, a fireplace,
the children nearby, poems and songs,
a friend sleeping in my bed -

and the short northern lights.




Tell me - what do you love?


1 comment:

  1. I won't be able to write from the grave
    so let me tell you what I love:
    sincerity, silence, solitude,
    tea the colour of deep amber,
    the husband nearby, daydreaming,
    the dog sleeping in my bed -

    and the full moon rising.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...