Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

The Deep Alone


It's a beautiful evening.  The sun is going down right now. Half an hour ago I stepped into the backyard and snapped the above.  Which I find calming.

And here is a poem I read with my morning coffee, so long ago now, by Edward Hirsch, titled, "I'm Going to Start Living Like a Mystic."  I'm fond of the ending:

  "I will walk home alone with the deep alone,
a disciple of shadows, in praise of the mysteries."

It's not often in poetry that you get away with the same word in a line like that, but it adds to the rhythm and takes the reader further into the word.  In the second repetition "alone" becomes more of a 
companion than just a state of being.

2 comments:

  1. I must express to you that your blog gives me the most inspiration and blessings of any site I read. It is the perfect combination of images and words. I look forward to finding new postings. Thank you beyond words for sharing. I live so very far from you in a very different place and lifestyle and you give me calmness I long for in my life. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This means a lot to me. : ) With many thanks to you, my dear Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...