Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Roughest Courage




“The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.”

 ~ Emerson

One evening not so long ago we sat in the backyard of our friends' house and sipped wine and ate delicious food and watched it get dark too early.  It's such a beautiful yard, and filled with warmth and light and interesting objects.  I think it perfectly reflects who these two lovely people are, so here's my little homage, to Cathy and to Slavo


"I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with the roughest courage. When they are real, they are not glass threads or frost-work, but the solidest thing we know."


- Ralph Waldo Emerson



I've spent a lot of time thinking about friendship over the years, what it is, how to be a better friend, how to choose friends, how to keep them, and once in a while how to ditch them.  I've read a lot of what the buddhists and the philosophers have to say about friendship and I've written about friendships in my latest books.  I think the quotation by Emerson, above, is for my money, one of the most useful.  And I can say that I'm blessed with numerous friendships that are not glass threads or frost work. Maybe artists/writers are most in need of friendships which may be treated with the roughest courage.


Beauty in every corner of their yard.


Dainty flowers yes, but sturdy also.

 The lion - I admit, I covet this just a wee bit.  : )


Hello gorgeous.




"Don't go to sleep one night. 

What you most want will come to you then. 

Warmed by a sun inside you'll see wonders." 


~ Rumi




Aren't these red currants amazing? The light.....entirely ravishing.  Another quotation by Rumi:

"Last year, I admired wines. This,
I'm wandering inside the red world."



Next I'm just going to let you feast your eyes on Slavo's metal work.  So very cool.  (When you're finished looking go click 'like' on his Facebook page).













And then, pretty suddenly, it was too dark to shoot much.  We stayed longer than we ought to have, but certainly hadn't run out of conversation. One of the pleasantest evenings of summer and the end of summer.

One last bit from Emerson to end with:


"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."


- Ralph Waldo Emerson


6 comments:

  1. Lovely post and gorgeous photos! That Emerson quote on friendship is new to me. So true. I'm going to store it away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe I've read it before and it registered anew today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rough courage, indeed! I like the part about being stupid, though, that one really struck home! Wow, if I'd known you were going to shoot pix I would have cleaned off the cobwebs and picked a few weeds! How lovely things look through your eye, Shawna. Thanks for one of the most perfect evenings of the summer, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Lovely evening with the dearest of friends. Shawna you have the heart of a poet and the eye of a painter. Thank you for making Calm Things part of my chaotic life. Slavo

    ReplyDelete
  5. currants are amazing. wonderful bokeh too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks all! :) it was a brilliant evening for sure. thankful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...