Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Shifting Weights of Beautiful Things


"How one walks through the world, the endless small adjustments of balance, is affected by the shifting weights of beautiful things."

~ Elaine Scarry


Woke up at 5:30 am this morning full of angst.  R. had been awake earlier, worried.  We've not done this so much lately. But every once in a while it hits us again.  The precariousness of this life, artist and writer.  My new job at the library has helped - made us less worried these last couple of months.  And besides, learning so many new things is good to take your mind off your troubles.  Most days I refuse to worry.  I mean, we'll either get by, or we'll think of something.

Anyways.  Yes.  The endless small adjustments of balance.  Which reminds me of taking these photos of a teacup, my white feather, the one that showed up on my doorstep one day, an omen.  For me it's the center of this series of photos.  Balance. Lightness.


I've had them on my computer since last week, all of these.  And usually the process is to keep whittling them down, deleting, until I find the one single one I like best.  


Did you know that Steve Jobs has died?  And that Tomas Transtromer has won the Nobel Prize for Literature?  (Poem here). Shifting weights.


In the end this is the one that I'll post on Flickr.  Maybe because it's the most mysterious.  The title of the book mainly obscured but hinted at, the blur on the beads, the crop of the teacup, the feather balanced so that it leans into blur, out of the range of focus.  Unruffled, calm, balanced.


1 comment:

  1. Oh to describe ourselves that way: Unruffled, calm, balanced.
    (That's the photo I like the best, too.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...