Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Tolerance for Unbalance




"The truth is balance.  However the opposite of truth, which is unbalance, may not be a lie."

~ Susan Sontag

Well, balance.  That a person wanting to live as an artist, as a writer, reaches a stage where one achieves an unbalanced balance.  Does this make sense?  In Living with the Devil, Stephen Batchelor quotes Robert Thurman, regarding the ability not just to dwell in "unbounded emptiness" but to have "the capacity to tolerate it."  Thurman says that "the mind reaches a stage where it can bear its lack of bearings...can endure this kind of extreme openness."  One also learns to tolerate a certain unbalance as a writer.


My mother-in-law has loaned me her teacup collection - which she received at a bridal shower many years ago.  The light was low and weak this morning, but a few of the shots I took were fine I think.  R. asked me afterwards, if the stack was difficult to balance, and you know, actually - it wasn't.  I suppose if someone had come in the house and slammed the door there might have been wobbling, but these were sturdy enough in their tower.


 We can tolerate more unbalance, perhaps, than we imagine.


1 comment:

  1. My former mother-in-law gave me a bunch of tea cups and saucers that she had received for her bridal shower. The are lovely, and very similar to yours. They seem so delicate but are quite sturdy. She showed me how to stow them while still displaying them: nesting three cups on their sides with the handles all tucked inside each other. It's quite cute, and yes - balanced.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...