Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

But, first, remember, remember, remember....



“But, first, remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs. And secondly, I give you a warning. Here on the mountain I have spoken to you clearly: I will not often do so down in Narnia. Here on the mountain, the air is clear and your mind is clear; as you drop down into Narnia, the air will thicken. Take great care that it does not confuse your mind. And the signs which you have learned here will not look at all as you expect them to look, when you meet them there. That is why it is so important to know them by heart and pay no attention to appearances. Remember the signs and believe the signs. Nothing else matters.” 


~ C.S. Lewis

Do you remember these lines from the Narnia Chronicles?  It's been a while since I've re-read them.  How I loved those books as a child.  My grade three teacher read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe before Christmas and I found and read the next few over the holidays.  After the break, I was surprised to find out that she intended to read another (which I had just read). She had the most beautiful reading voice and we all anticipated another chapter every day.


Impossible not to look at Turkish Delight and remember the scene in The LWW.  I'm not that fond of the stuff, but C. is.  I do remember yearning to try it as a child, but it wasn't something one could find at latitude 53 in the early 70s.

Have been looking for signs lately, and know that others have been as well.  So when I came across the above quotation, it seemed perfect for the Turkish Delight photos.  I am looking for signs that my book, my imaginary book, the one I hope to soon publish, is in the right hands.  That something will come of it.  Sometimes, perhaps, you make your own signs, and here are mine, on my 'About' page.  Maybe it's a bit strange/desperate, but I had these lovely friends (who'd read the manuscript already) write 'pre-blurbs' for Hive.  And so it seems a little less imaginary, and bit more real.  And a bit more hopeful.  And certainly it makes me grateful for these three.  So grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...