Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Tell Yourself



“Be like melting snow - wash yourself of yourself.” 


~Rumi


This is the time of year I learn to love the winter again.  I learn to embrace it, every day. Often, I fail.  It's gray and the snow is falling still this morning.  The days are already short but getting shorter.  A litany of complaints about the roads and the snow and the cold and the length of the season all around; the air is thick with the anxiety people have over winter.

How to get through winter?  Let's try and be Rumi's blank sheet of paper with nothing on it, let's be like melting snow.  Let's empty ourselves.  Let's come clean.  Let's stay warm, together, alone, noticing the severe beauty in the drabness, we winter birds.

Let's write winter poems:


"Tell yourself
as it gets cold and gray falls from the air
that you will go on"  

{from Lines for Winter by Mark Strand}



What I love about winter.  The silences within silence.  Kinds of snow.  The stars in the early dark.  Footprints.  The gatherings of snow - in crooks of trees branches, on leaves that forgot to fall.  I love the places where grey sky and expanse of snow meet and it's difficult to tell one from the other.  I won't say snow angels, even though I do love them, because I remember how snow embraces. I love the way snow rests on the nose of a black dog and heaps on the chairs in my backyard.

And you, what do you love about winter?

4 comments:

  1. What I love about winter. Hoar frost that sits piled high on tree branches waiting for the right gust of wind to send tiny snowflakes cascading to the ground. When planes cut through the air their sound sharp and resonant, bounces off frozen ground. The sparkle of snow falling on really cold days, reminds me to go out and play. The crunch of snow when I tromp through it. The freshness of air cleanses my nasal cavities. The sound of ice skates as children play in the rink across from my house, shoosh, shoosh, shoosh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely winter meditation, thank you.
    I like the covering of winter. Almost cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you all for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...