Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Preferring the Loneliness of It



 "I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter.  Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show."


~ Andrew Wyeth





A light skiff of snow when we woke up this morning.  The sky was mainly grey when I set off to walk the dog, but there was a glimmer of pale blue, which disappeared mid way through the walk.  A couple of hours later - when I was back home - full sun.  I've been trying to capture this little stand of trees for ages.  And it never looks like anything.  Today that odd mix of light did something to the trees, along with the light snow.  It's not the most amazing photo in the world, I know, but makes me happy nevertheless.  



Three coyotes, according to other dog walkers, live in this stand of trees.  The field is so full of mice this year. When you go walking you can see them scurry under the scrub.  Plenty for the coyotes to eat.


Although I don't love the freezing cold aspect of winter so much, I do prefer the loneliness of it.  There's something holy about winter if you let it come to you.  If you keep a sharp eye out.



1 comment:

  1. I love winter too, and the stillness and calm it brings :). Wonderful wintery photographs! I especially love the las one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...