Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

The Solitude of Revery






“When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.”

 ~ Buddha

A quick running post this morning to say hello, happy Friday, and wishing you all a calm and lovely weekend.  I've spent the morning so far walking the dog, writing emails - gosh how they can get away from you, editing an essay of mine that is going to appear in an anthology devoted to shyness.  I'm very pleased about this - it's an older essay - in fact I wrote it in grad school when I was in a class led by the wonderful Greg Hollingshead.  So that was a while back, but still a good piece I think and I'm glad it will be read by a wider audience. (It was originally published in a mag. called Prairie Fire).  I'm currently drinking a cup of my new favorite tea - Tazo's Jasmine Pearls - the little pearls unfurl before your very eyes.....a fun bit of tea-magic.  

And now a couple more lovely quotations for you (really - you can see I'm using this blog entirely for the purposes of keeping myself sane right now, haha) from Bachelard again, but this time from his Fragments of a Poetics of Fire:

"It was in reading poetry that I felt myself most beautifully alive."


"To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful, ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry."


"But I had need of solitude as well, the solitude of reverie, of my own reveries.  I hope to explain here how these reveries became working reveries in me, how reverie works one's inner being, how the reverie of a poet can bring one inner calm.  How healthful it is for the psyche to spend long months faithful to a single image, faithful to water or to all the reveries of bird flight!"

~ Gaston Bachelard


(There's my new year's resolution, the one on the top of my list - to spend long months faithful to a single image).

And now, if you have ten minutes, and believe me you have ten minutes, this is a very rejuvenating chant, the peace chant.  I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing through most of it, but there are some beautiful calming pictures too.  Peace to you today,
Shawna

2 comments:

  1. Shawna, Just reading your blog makes me calm. your sensitivity and openness are so refreshing and inspirational. Thank you for all of this. I'm thinking of you and LucyAbroad today as I make steamed date pudding for the holidays. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer - mmmm date pudding! That's such a happy thought. Thank you for the comment...means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...