Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

the astonishing beauty of things

from "The Beauty of Things" by Robinson Jeffers

To feel and speak the astonishing beauty of things—earth, stone and water,
Beast, man and woman, sun, moon and stars—
~ Robinson Jeffers

{read more here}




I find it interesting that a person can go for days and not really be able to see the beauty in the ordinary, and then all of a sudden - sparks. All day I felt dreary and everything looked quite dull. (This may have had something to do with the errands I ran, and then attempting to tick things off that rather intimidating to-do list).  Then before  dinner I started pulling things out of the fridge to wash, and I wondered what the greens would look like on our dresser upstairs.  So somehow these ingredients made it upstairs into the bedroom, the dog following me, looking at me as though I'm quite mad. {I am quite mad.  Please don't tell the dog.}



 Part of being a good photographer is editing out those photos that don't work, but I kept whittling them down, and found I liked a few of each subject, and hey it's my blog, so I'm posting them here without guilt.

I liked the square crop and slightly higher angle of this one.



And I like the negative space on the right hand on this one.


And then all that space on the one below, left.  As for the other one, I like to see the corner of the bureau, so I've kept it also.  I edited the radish photos a very little bit, but the chocolate ones are SOOC, except for the square crop.  The natural light just did its work, and I like them as they are.


I still kind of wonder what the hay I'm doing taking all these photos, and I still only come up with this answer - it makes me happy.  It helps me to see the astonishing beauty of things, also.  And sometimes, just sometimes, as a result of this strange hobby there is chocolate to eat.



6 comments:

  1. All these are wonderful, but oh the chocolate! Glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Brenda! thought you might enjoy those : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. They make me happy too! So it is a dresser I am coveting over here?! It is lovely. Sometimes when you find beauty and joy, you must keep clicking away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your discussion of your thoughts as you photograph and choose. I have wondered 'what the *# I am doing taking more photos. I am glad your answer for yourself is to keep taking and posting photos and commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about the chocolate. Give me a Toblerone any day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...