Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

How I'll spend this day of mine




"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."


~ Annie Dillard



"For a writer, published works are like fallen flowers, but the expected new work is like a calyx waiting to blossom."  


~ Cao Yu


Today marks the official end of the holidays, if you have a school-aged person in your home, anyway.  And mine has just headed out the door.  So this is where I begin to pray for no interruptions, for the creative juices to actually FLOW.  I've turned off Facebook (thanks to the program called SelfControl) and will also turn off my email notification.  


First, the dog gets a brisk half hour walk, and usually I can work out a few ideas while I do that, so when I get back home, the scribbling may begin in earnest.  The coffee pot has already been drained so that means it will be time to put the kettle on for tea, which is also a good way to warm up for the dog walk.  


If I accomplish my goals, if the new work blossoms sufficiently, I'll reward myself with some time to tinker with some photos I took of figs yesterday afternoon.  Before I know it, it will be nearly 3 o'clock and time to swing out of here to pick up the kid from school.


Usually I save the more mundane tasks for when she's home.  I'm prepping for a course I'll be teaching in February, and have letters of reference to write for various people.  Having these things hanging over me drive me mad, to be perfectly honest.  But if I were to tackle them first, my creative time would be nil.  So.


And that is how I will spend my day today, my life.  And you?



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sunny flowers on a cold day. A prayer of thanks that school is back in....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...