Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

silence and offerings, or, silent offerings


Gift
~ Leonard Cohen

You tell me that silence
is nearer to peace than poems
but if for my gift
I brought you silence
(for I know silence)
you would say
"This is not silence
this is another poem"
and you would hand it back to me.




I am offering this poem to you,
since I have nothing else to give.
Keep it like a warm coat
when winter comes to cover you,
the cold cannot bite through,
or like a pair of thick socks.....



As for me, I offer you this silent bowl of white rose petals this morning. {I have nothing else to give.}

I am trying to keep beautiful things, silence, in my mind.

I'm holding thousands of beating wings in my hand like flower petals every instant.


"To hold a bird in the half-closed palms of your hand is terrible, 
it's as if you had the trembling instants in your hand. The terrified 
bird beats its thousands of wings frantically and suddenly its fine, 
beating wings are in your partly closed hand..."


~ Clarice Lispector


Though of course it's me that is terrified.


That's what it's like to write poetry like silence into the silence.


It has to be that way.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...