Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

What will you give up?



"A little while alone in your room will prove more valuable than anything else that could ever be given you." 


~ Rumi



This bears repeating, doesn't it? and often....

I feel sometimes as though I have spent my whole life trying to get to the room.  I'm sure many artists and writers feel that way.  And there is often a trade.  What will you give up so that you can find your way to your room?

I once read that if you care what your writing space looks like then it is not writing you're interested in. And I'm sure it's true that there are those who can write anywhere, in the barest circumstances.  And there are those too who find they write more or can concentrate better in a public space - the library or a cafe.  But I've never been that sort of person.  The colour of the walls matter.  Colour seeps into one.  I'm very sensitive to the effects of colour.  And I believe it must somehow seep into the work at hand as well.  I write better when the house is clean, and my desk is tidy. 


How to come into the fullness of your own being?

“The living self has one purpose only: to come into its own fullness of being, as a tree comes into full blossom, or a bird into spring beauty, or a tiger into lustre.”


~ D. H. Lawrence


How to find your way into daydreams?



“All people dream, but not equally. 
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind, wake in the 
morning to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous 
people, For they dream their dreams with open eyes, And make them come 
true.”
 



~ D. H. Lawrence


What will you give up to achieve the lustre of tigers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...