Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

a world that is fit

“Every true artist is the salvation of every other. Only artists produce for each other a world that is fit to live in.” 
D.H. Lawrence















“For my part, I prefer my heart to be broken.
It is so lovely, dawn-kaleidoscopic within the crack.” 

~  D.H. Lawrence


A poem of mine from Blue Feast:


SKINNED 


It happens so easily, I should be glad.
That I have the aptitude.


The simplest things break my heart now.


At breakfast
the heft of shells skinned from the boiled eggs.
The gray kitten staring out the window at falling snow.
Words crossed out in a letter 
so that even the dots and loops and crosses are blotted.
In the evening
I am untouched by the sun's 
bleeding face scraping down the horizon.
And in the darkness I wonder how a being
becomes so cold.


My heart breaks easily.
But it never dithers.
It jumps back to the queue
hoping to volunteer as witness for the lesser
of whatever heartbreaks are to be handed out that day.



3 comments:

  1. how well this poem describes the feeling of reveling in the tinniest of overlooked beautiful things! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...