Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

drink and be filled up . . .



Have been thinking about minimalism lately - the calming affect of it - both in poetry and in photography.

This is a poem that's lately been sticking in my head, maybe because often I work at home, write, etc, in the morning but then go off to work later in the afternoon.  I find that when I have an entire day to play with, the morning does indeed seem large.  But when I need to leave the house in the afternoon, how small the mornings are!


A  DAY IS VAST

by Jane Hirshfield {from Come, Thief}

A day is vast.
Until noon.
Then it's over.


Yesterday's pondwater
braided still wet in my hair.


I don't know what time is.


You can't ever find it.
But you can lose it.



I think I do usually read at least a poem a day. A poet's habit. But I enjoyed reading this article about someone who consciously does the same.

When I posted the top photo on Flickr, I included this quotation from Anne Lamott:

“Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative
 art. The water is free. So drink. Drink and be filled up.” 

~ Anne Lamott



I think poetry is also magic, and that even seeking out a poem a day can be sustaining.

Of course as a poor starving (haha!) poet, it would be nice to see people buying books of poetry, or taking them out of the library.  But there are so many great places on the web to read a poem a day.  And even Poetry Daily.

It's interesting I think - how reading a poem in the morning will colour your entire day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...