Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

to go toward silence



“It's no good trying to get rid of your own aloneness. You've got to stick to it all your life. Only at times, at times, the gap will be filled in. At times! But you have to wait for the times. Accept your own aloneness and stick to it, all your life. And then accept the times when the gap is filled in, when they come. But they've got to come. You can't force them.” 

~ D. H. Lawrence



"For me, there’s a likeness between poetry and prayer that is not so much thanks or supplication or other conscious activity, but the more unconscious activity of meditation or dreaming. The likeness lies in poetry and meditative prayer and dreaming all being (potentially anyhow) healing, and all being out of our hands. For me, poetry is mostly silence. The deeper the better. "
"When I say the poetry I like best is mostly silence, I mean that it seems to have come out of silence, to exist in the midst of silence, and to go toward silence."

~ Jean Valentine, excerpted from this article titled "One Whole Voice," on The Poetry Foundation


How difficult to find that silence, to write into that silence, and yet, for me, so crucial. The connections between poetry and prayer, dreaming and meditation, are so interesting and something I want to explore further.  I like the above Lawrence quotation, because I have always been fond of my aloneness, faithful to my aloneness.  It's part of what makes one an artist, a dreamer, a writer, I believe.


2 comments:

  1. Your posts here are always so beautiful. I don't know why I don't comment more often. I'm going to. It is a beautiful beautiful blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lisa! i really appreciate the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...