Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

a slow-burning rapture...



I've been in a strange state lately, creatively speaking (and Lord knows, in other ways too).  Which is not to say I've not been writing, or taking photos, but that everything I produce is unsatisfactory.  Not quite what I wanted.  Not quite what I envisioned. Normally, I'd just hit the delete button on all these, but decided to put them here instead, lucky you, so that I could come back to them later, and maybe, just maybe be a little less harsh on them, on myself, at some future point. And also to remind myself, that it's not always about hitting the mark, it's also about living creatively.  About producing regularly.  A lot of making great art has to do with recognizing it, when you possibly, and with some luck, do produce it.  To live life as an artist - that's my main goal, and whatever happens in terms of recognition, publication, accolades etc. - these truly are secondary.  (Of course, I'm not blind to the fact that those accepted forms of recognition do play a rather large part in enabling one to carry on with the every day creative stuff. We all like to imagine that perhaps awards aren't important, but they hold some small sway with grants committees, juries, and the like).  

When I'm feeling this way, I often open up one of the many Joseph Campbell books I own.   Is he out of vogue these days?  Possibly.  But there is much solace and rapture and good common sense to be found in his words.  He's so enthused about his subject matter.....it causes one to see the world all over again.  If you haven't read him, I'd suggest starting with the Companion, and then maybe the Power of Myth.  A lot of good thinking in them on the creative path.  Campbell was a comparative religionist, I guess you would call him, and there's so many profound and beautiful comparisons that he makes between religions. 

Well, in lieu of any more of my rambles I leave you with my failed photos, haha, and some Joseph Campbell inspiration:


“People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances within our own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.” 


“Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions, and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how it ends.” 



“I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.”


 “We're so engaged in doing things to achieve purposes of outer value that we forget the inner value, the rapture that is associated with being alive, is what it is all about.” 



“I always feel uncomfortable when people speak about ordinary mortals because I've never met an ordinary man, woman or child.”
 

“Sit in a room and read--and read and read. And read the right books by the right people. Your mind is brought onto that level, and you have a nice, mild, slow-burning rapture all the time.” 




“Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.” 


{all above quotations by Joseph Campbell}

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. I am going to tape these quotes up in full view. The potential of living with a slow burning rapture is just too hard to resist.... Sorry, gotta go read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....and another thing...... I don't see failure in those pictures. I see heart breaking beauty. But I can't change your feelings about them, so I choose to feel the joy they bring me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...