Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

sweet turmoil


The book on the table is Eternal Enemies which I've been reading all week.  It's a library book, but it's so good, that I've ordered the book to have for myself.

And who knows why, but mostly I've only read his essays until now.  This from one of them:

“Read for yourselves, read for the sake of your inspiration, for the sweet turmoil in your lovely head. But also read against yourselves, read for questioning and impotence, for despair and erudition, read the dry sardonic remarks of cynical philosophers like Cioran or even Carl Schmitt, read newspapers, read those who despise, dismiss or simply ignore poetry and try to understand why they do it. Read your enemies, read those who reinforce your sense of what's evolving in poetry, and also read those whose darkness or malice or madness or greatness you can't understand because only in this way will you grow, outlive yourself, and become what you are.” 


~ Adam Zagajewski from A Defense of Ardor, Essays





Mostly I read for company, for inspiration, for to quiet and soothe the sweet turmoil in my not so lovely head.  I like to read those who write with a calm and clean sanity and I like to read those who live in an intricate darkness.  I read to find myself, another like myself.  I read to be intoxicated and transported and I read as a seeker of radiance and drudgery.  


I read with tea, and I read to find a line of sweetness or two.


I read in search of flowers and snow and the storms of each that rage within me and gently and fiercely bring me down, shy,  to earth.


I read to awaken my soul.  I read for breathtaking, for sorrow. I read for delight and tumult and madness.


I read to clean a space on the table, to let things in, for open.

3 comments:

  1. I read to imagine. I read to understand. I read when curious, when sad, when lonely, when content. I read to be immersed in someone else's head from the quiet of my comfortable chair. And those are only the first few reasons.
    Thanks, Shawna, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful post and so full of your own poetry of thought. I love your closing line, "I read to clean a space on the table, to let things in, for open." Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea--to read for, and against, oneself. We need more of this in the world. And your line, "I like to read those who live in an intricate darkness." What a gorgeous idea, exact expression, that "intricate darkness." I do, too. Thanks, Shawna.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...