Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

fallen petals in a fairy tale



D O N ' T   M A K E   L I S T S


Every day a new flower rises
from your body's fresh soil.
Don't go around looking
for fallen petals
in a fairy tale, when you've
got the golden plant
right here, now,
shooting forth in light from your eyes,
your awakening crown.

Don't make lists,
or explore ancient accounts.
Forget everything you know
and open.


This was to have been a much longer post talking about the idea of the open.  I've been reading a book called In the Company of Rilke by Stephanie Dowrick which has a chapter on this. However, the kid woke up early, sick and unhappy.  She'll probably miss school today, and so that has changed the day somewhat.  Today was to have been my big writing day - I did in fact make a few lists - and it still will be but it's never the same writing when you're not alone, or when you know you'll be interrupted.  So.  Into the day....

5 comments:

  1. Speedy recovery~ I hope you get to snatch some "alone time". I know what that is like when you look forward to that comfy silence and the stillness of being the only one in the house only to be surprised in the end.
    Lovely photos of those golden hibiscus flowers. The last one looks like pocket sized fireworks!
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful poem. I hope your little one feels well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this poem -- and your reflections and photographs. I've been checking in most days for a long while, a kind of morning meditation before I get down to work. "Forget everything you know/and open." Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now where did I put that list? .... Got 2 home today. Sigh. Advil for the little ones, wine for mommy. It's after 8 pm, right? Tomorrow is another day. A lovely post for not having had all the time you wanted. You made hay. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you everyone! i use this place as a meditation for myself, so it's lovely to hear it serves as one for others too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...