Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

know light, for all you're worth.



“Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.”


~ George Eastman




I go on trying to understand these daily acts of light.


I have a recurring dream in which I must learn how to use PhotoShop in a few hours.  I'm serious.  And when I wake up I feel quite in a panic.  Meanwhile, I seem to do less (in Picasa) to my photos all the time.  I think this is okay.  I'm not trying to take photos for any real commercial purpose.



I only want to think about how we see, how light enters us. How we sit at kitchen tables, bathed in light, and sometimes we read in the afternoon light and it reaches in far through the windows and illuminates our hands as we turn the pages.  


This was the light one day this past long weekend.  We drank vanilla tea with honey and ate sour cherry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  Just the three of us, quiet and content.  R. was reading Art & Auction and C. was reading the first of the Lord of the Rings books.

























Afterwards, the table not quite cleared, the light became stronger.  They had moved on to other things, and I sat at the table alone, with the particular light of late winter afternoons, and felt myself clear. Which in all honesty, did not last.   




3 comments:

  1. Nice to see a happy household of introverts; everyone has a book at the table... and I'm guessing the photographer soon sat down to write or read too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that she did : )
    i'm looking forward to the review of the book on introversion on your blog. (i noticed it on your shelfari).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author, Susan Cain, has done a TedTalk on the subject. Check it out! (Google: Susan Cain Power of Introverts Ted 2012)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...