Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

omens and influences


Right after I wrapped up yesterday's post, I hauled the camera into the kitchen to see what I could see.  We have a stack of old books sitting on the desk near the window and I thought, well, maybe it's time to crack one of these beauties open once again.  I selected the Danish-English dictionary which we have solely for looks, since none of us speak Danish.  (Though R.'s grandmother was Danish).

I had been filled with my usual certainty and doubt about my plan for Hive (see previous entry).  But after writing the post was feeling at peace with my decision.  I should mention first, that I'm the sort of person who puts a lot of stock in mysterious signs from the universe. So, I open the book, and the word at the top of the page (which you can see in the photo above right below the page number, 212).  The word:  Hive.  Seriously.  Not kidding.  I am not making this up.

Meanwhile, I spent all day going through it one more time with a fine toothed comb.  Then I handed it to R. who also went through it all evening.  Once it's uploaded, I'll be going through it again.  And again.

It's hard to read older work, but it's also good - to see where you've been, how you got to where you are.  And to think again of all those works that influenced your work, and go on influencing it.  But there were particular books, particular authors, that I returned to often when writing Hive. Mostly they're mentioned directly within the book, but there are a few that aren't.  I'm sure I'll come back to these authors, and talk about them more as I continue to talk about the book, and the process of bringing it, however quietly and secretly, into the world.  But here's a preliminary list:  Kristjana Gunnars' work, especially The Rose Garden.  Manhattan by Helene Cixous, The Waves and To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Yesterday, At the Hotel Clarendon and Breathing Fences by Nicole Brossard. Clarice Lispector, all her work, but especially Stream of Life.  Samuel Beckett, Gaston Bachelard, Rilke, Lisa Robertson, Sina Queyras, Gail Scott.

In another post, soon, I'll make a list of all the art forgery books I read, and share some links to websites I consulted.

2 comments:

  1. Reading you right now seems quite appropriate, as I've been translating you... Every time I read your work I am more convinced of my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly
    informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
    I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Many people
    will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
    my web site: mcallen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...