Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

trying to look like the real thing



An arrival, then.  I was sitting at the kitchen table, having tea with an out of town friend, a friend who is in fact one of my longest standing friends (sounds nicer than saying my oldest friend?) when the box of five books arrived.  What made this even more lovely was that the night before, I had said to her, maybe when you're over for tea, the books will arrive.  Of course, I knew they were coming, but who knew amazon could be so quick?  Who knew this whole process would be so quick?  I'm reeling just a little bit, but it's a good reeling.


So the paper is nice, crisp and white, and a decent weight.  And even if it's a fake, it feels real enough.  Could you tell the difference between this and a 'real' book?

Well, this morning I was reminded of a Leonard Cohen poem:



THOUSANDS

by Leonard Cohen


Out of the thousands
who are known,
or who want to be known
as poets,
maybe one or two
are genuine
and the rest are fakes,
hanging around the sacred 
precincts
trying to look like the real thing.
Needless to say
I am one of the fakes,
and this is my story.



It's a poem that's referred to, hinted toward, pointed to, at one brief moment in the book. Over the next little while, I'll be posting short excerpts from Hive: a forgery.  Also, I've added a link to my books on the top bar of this blog, if anyone is curious to read more about Hive and my other work.  The link to it on amazon is {here}.


7 comments:

  1. looks real to me... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, love the simplicity of the cover Shawna:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's real and it's all you! Way to go -- so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, thanks all! : ) glad you like : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Shawna! Gosh I haven't even taken the time to go check it out. Did you self publish this one? I love the cover -- saw that photo on Flickr recently, which makes me ask the question. Anyway, this is grand. Lovely and bravo. I'm cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did, thanks, Diane. And yes, the cover photo is mine : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...