Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

the world begins


A few lines from Joy Harjo's poem, "Perhaps the World Ends Here" {please read the entire poem here}

"The world begins at a kitchen table. No matter what, we must eat to live."


"Our dreams drink coffee with us as they put their arms around our children."


"It is here that children are given instructions on what it means to be human. We make men at it, we make women."



As for me, I have an appointment this afternoon with a cup of matcha tea (a new discovery for me) and my journal at the kitchen table. There are still so many things that it's only wise to tell to the pages of a diary, in a conspiracy of ink.  Maybe other people feel this as well.  The more we are on social networking sites, the less personal they seem to get. Or things are half told or hinted at, other things withheld. A lot of withholding, which I worry I'm also guilty of, or seem to be, if that makes sense. (So much of Fb is about the perception of things - and we're all really looking at wildly different screens, however similar the interface).  Once in a while something refreshing and beautiful though. Something genuine.  Or just some simple good news.  Which I suppose is why I can't quite give up Fb. (Though I do block it with the "self-control" program for a day at a time, or half a day while I'm writing).


Meanwhile.  I've been working away on turning Hive into a book.  Have done the paperwork, and await approval.  This is to claim tax exemption for international clients.  I've uploaded the book, and my cover.  Have gone through the text several times.  And today, will do so again.  It's starting to look like a book, a real book, which is exciting.  I guess there are silly moments when I'm actually a bit sad that a so-called 'real' publisher didn't pick it up.  I mean you see publishers print far worse stuff than Hive. And even some complete rubbish. Whine, whine, whinge.  Of course, the whole point of doing it this way, my way, is to just stop the feeling sorry for myself.  Which I have, which I will.  The wonderful part of doing this myself, is that I have complete control.  When it comes out, what the cover looks like, what the back cover looks like (a bigger deal than you might think, the back cover), how it's promoted, when the e-version comes out, and how much I get paid. I get to set the cover price which then dictates how much I get per copy.  Depending on where you might like to buy it from - either Createspace or Amazon - I will get half or more than half, as compared to the 10 or 15 percent you might get from a publisher. Not that this is really about money, but then again, money is nothing to sneeze at.  

So, as I said.  Kitchen table. Appointment. Diary.  Enjoy your day, my lovely readers.

8 comments:

  1. Such beautiful images! I wish you all the luck in the world with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, beautiful images and every time I come over to Calm Things something inside me stirs.....thanks Shawna...you have a beautiful day too, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, beautiful images and every time I come over to Calm Things something inside me stirs.....thanks Shawna...you have a beautiful day too, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much to you both! Your comments mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comments today about the table reminds me of a new book by Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First.As he makes his argument for French foods and eating style, he skips over a lot of hard facts. But leave that to you. I confess that I ama too urgent at te table in the AM: the NYTimes and then the first project that I thought about still sleepy and not yet up. I guess that is whee I create ideas - lying on my back. I journaled for years and,looking back,
    found too much complaining and anger.

    But thanks for your words. Good poem!

    Bill Moore
    foodinthearts.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bill. I'll have to look out for the Gopnik book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. feeling like a real book. very cool. :)

    the top of the tea cup looks like a cloud animal. good stuff for dreaming.


    "we're all really looking at wildly different screens, however similar the interface", yeah, I tend to forget that.
    there's some I trust to only paper, not even computer not hooked to internet. it's life as an erasure poem in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if I was the only one that saw the cloud animal : )

    thanks Pearl. a neat thought - life as an erasure poem!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...