Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

go to the librarian






Now that I have raised the glass of pure wine to my lips,
The nightingale starts to sing!

Go to the librarian and ask for the book of this bird's songs, and
Then go out into the desert. Do you really need college to read this book?

Break all your ties with people who profess to teach, and learn from the
Pure Bird. From pole to pole the news of those sitting in quiet solitude is spreading.



~ Hafiz




P E A C E 

by Gerard Manley Hopkins

When will you ever, Peace, wild wooddove, shy wings shut, 

Your round me roaming end, and under be my boughs? 
When, when, Peace, will you, Peace? I'll not play hypocrite 
To own my heart: I yield you do come sometimes; but 
That piecemeal peace is poor peace. What pure peace allows 
Alarms of wars, the daunting wars, the death of it? 

 O surely, reaving Peace, my Lord should leave in lieu 
Some good! And so he does leave Patience exquisite, 
That plumes to Peace thereafter. And when Peace here does house 
He comes with work to do, he does not come to coo, 
He comes to brood and sit.


Good morning, lovely readers.  These two poets/poems seemed to speak to me today, and also, to speak to each other in interesting ways.  Hafiz and Hopkins.  The pure bird and the shy wing.  The gift of solitude, the gift of peace.  The sitting in quiet solitude, the brooding and sitting.....


May you receive patience exquisite, may this plume into peace....









{Don't forget to check out the post below for a chance to win a copy of Hive: A Forgery.....}

~ and thank you to all of you who've entered so far, and for all your gorgeous comments and good wishes.








3 comments:

  1. Hi, Shawna- today is my birthday and I try to consider all that comes my way today as a gift, or at least, look "into" it more deeply. Your post was perfect for me. i WAS a librarian and I will happily take personally the wishes for more patience and peace in my life. Thanks.
    Good luck with your book; for no matter how talented you are and how beautiful it is, which of course, IT IS, it isn't easy to "get the word out".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shawna, for bringing peace "round me roaming end" today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edna - hope you had a great bday! And thank you - you're so right - not easy to get the word out. But little by little...

    Sandra - glad you liked this and found some peace here. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...