Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

out of nothing


A S   M U C H   A S   Y O U   C A N 

C.P. CAVAFY

And if you can’t shape your life the way you want,
at least try as much as you can
not to degrade it
by too much contact with the world,
by too much activity and talk.
 
Try not to degrade it by dragging it along,
taking it around and exposing it so often
to the daily silliness
of social events and parties,
until it comes to seem a boring hanger-on. 





I took these photos yesterday morning in my backyard.  Many of them will seem nearly the same - I'm still trying to whittle them down to one of each view.  Sometimes when I pop them up on the blog - that's when one stands out, maybe right away, maybe a day or two later.  So, forgive my indulgence.

I've been busy making spring-resolutions - about shaping my life the way I want it.  And spring lists.  There is so much I want to accomplish. Today, there is a half-written poem in my notebook.  I have flowers sitting in my garage that we went out and bought last night after I got home from work.  I need a few more, so right after the dog is walked, I'm heading out to the greenhouse. Then I will be planting this morning - a glorious day ahead.  One good thing about working on the weekend, is that the quieter, week days are mine, and free and clear.


I feel as though things have gotten away from me again.  Those things I need to say, that must be said in poetry, in long, mad lines, my heart hanging up high like these bird cages in the blossoming trees. Empty, the birds flying even higher.



O N E   H E A R T 

Li-Young Lee


Look at the birds. Even flying
is born

out of nothing. The first sky
is inside you, open

at either end of day.
The work of wings

was always freedom, fastening
one heart to every falling thing.



So, again, I begin with nothing.  Every poem is like that, every new flight, every new book.  You've never written before.


I'll go on making my spring resolutions, then, today, as I garden.  And you, my friends - do you have any spring resolutions?  



4 comments:

  1. Your words and photos remind me of the poem by Langston Hughes...
    " Hold onto dreams
    For if dreams die
    Life is like a broken-winged bird
    That cannot fly."

    so I guess my resolution, at least at this moment, is not to let my dreams die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely. I've been here a couple times today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I resolve this spring to offload: shedding collections of the past, things in the garden. I want to make things tidier and simpler. A first for me.
    If I had to pick two pix, it would be the 3rd & 5th.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, let's all hold onto our dreams! a perfect spring resolution.

    thanks for being a repeat customer, B! : )

    and Lucy - offloading. me too. and simpler in the garden - we're on the same page.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...