Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

impossibility of crows


It's been a while since I took Three Steps on the Ladder of Writing by Helene Cixous off the shelf.  How did I know it was the book I needed this morning?  

I open it to this on Kafka:

"One author whose name was not without signifying effects - of which he was perfectly well aware - is Kafka. In German, Kafka means chouca = corneille (crow).  He too is a bird. He knows it, plays with it, inscribes it."  

She quotes him:

"The crows maintain that a single crow could destroy the heavens.  There is no doubt about that, but it proves nothing against the heavens, for heaven simply means: the impossibility of crows."

Earlier she speaks of the writing of Clarice Lispector, Anna Akhmatova, Marina Tsvetaeva, Ingeborg Bachman - her 'deep and everlasting love affair' with them.  How many years ago did I read this, and then track down each of these authors?  


"If I gather these beings to talk about them in the same way, if I am worried by the fate of birds and women, it is because I have learned that not many people - unfortunately - or perhaps fortunately - can really love, tolerate, or understand a certain kind of writing; I am using women and birds as synonyms." 


What women writers do you have an everlasting love affair with?  For me, Clarice Lispector, Helene Cixous, Woolf....

I love the work of Kristjana Gunnars.  Keep returning to The Rose Garden.  And all her work, really.  So many more of course.  

You?







2 comments:

  1. Love your crow! I also love Munro and Atwood, but am willing to add new love interests. lol Your own blog is of course, enchanting, and you also help me find new favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Anon! yes, to both Munro and Atwood. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...