Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

a word for that


"What makes photography a strange invention is that its primary raw materials are light and time."

~ John Berger




“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”

~ Ansel Adams



Spring and all its flowers
     now joyously break their vow of silence.
It is time for celebration, not for lying low; You too -- weed out those roots of sadness from your heart.

~ Hafiz


The blossoms are not quite nearing the end. It's been a perfect spring for them.  No wild wind, or hail, or snow.  They are joyous, and yet, I will try to lie low, to celebrate them quietly.  Is it strange, of course it is strange, but this year I feel quite overwhelmed by the blossoms.  Their abundance, their colours.  Maybe there is a word for that - overwhelmed by blossoms.

I liked the Ansel Adams quotation when I came upon it because of that movement from words, to pictures, to silence.  Is it possible, though, to ever be content?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...