Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

a blue cup



"My heart / a blue cup fallen from someone's hands."


This is the ending to a poem by Dorianne Laux, titled "What's Broken." {Read the entire poem here}

Consoling, somehow, to think about all that's been broken, and how we nevertheless find the courage to carry on.  "What hasn't / been rent, divided, split?" asks Laux, and isn't this true?

I found this egg on the front lawn a few days ago.  A robin had built a nest high up in the eaves of our house, beside the drain pipe, this year.  If you've read my book (also titled Calm Things) then you might remember the story of a nest in our front tree which had been ravaged by crows.  So when I saw this nest in the works, I was nervous.

Still, it's always heartbreaking, unnerving, to hold something broken in the palm of your hands, which I did, to bring this into the house.

Every year, things are broken.  This year, so far for me, the stylized clay bird came off the bird bath, a favourite dish, the branch off a tree. Minor things, very minor.  And so it's good to count those things up, and feel lucky.



1 comment:

  1. One hopes the baby got out safely. The colour is impossibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...