Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

by the bright window




 from the poem, "A Passion for Solitude" by the Italian poet, Cesare Pavese:


I'm eating a little supper by the bright window.
The room's already dark, the sky's starting to turn.
Outside my door, the quiet roads lead,
after a short walk, to open fields.




The speaker of the poem is connected, even though he eats in solitude, to the fields, to the people who grow the food.

Such an abundance of produce in the summer.  We went to the farmer's market and bought fresh vegetables because I wanted to make a summer soup.  






Probably everyone has a version of this soup.  This is a cream based soup with carrots, baby potatoes, peas, cauliflower, fresh dill.  So simple and fresh.




Rob made Italian sandwiches to go with the soup and we had them again the next day for lunch.  Eggplant, red pepper, provolone and beef.  A strange combination maybe, but tasty all the same.




I made this lemon/lime cake with cream cheese frosting.















And so I brought these things that we made to our bright window.  Thinking about how food connects us.  How I run back and forth between the poem, and the domestic.  Between the bright window and my notebook.  Trying to notice things, notice and write them down.  I'm trying, as Mary Oliver says, to stand long enough among the flowers, to scrutinize them, the world, my small world, the bright table by the window.  




The poet must not only write the poem but must scrutinize the world intensely, or anyway that part of the world he or she has taken for subject. If the poem is thin, it is likely so not because the poet does not know enough words, but because he or she has not stood long enough among the flowers—has not seen them in any fresh, exciting, and valid way.

~ Mary Oliver




4 comments:

  1. Lovely as always! And I want that cake so badly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand, feel and connect with this post, Shawna....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Madhu...thank you. and Brenda - it's too bad cake isn't more easily mailed : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...