Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

the quiet of ordinary things



That so much of summer is about the domestic. My focus is on the quiet of ordinary things, yes, even more than usual.



"Happiness is in it," said Neville, "and the quiet of ordinary things. A table, a chair, a book with a paper-knife stuck between the pages. And the petal falling from the rose, and the light flickering as we sit silent, or, perhaps, bethinking us of some trifle, suddenly speak."

~ Virginia Woolf, The Waves




I often take photos of food and somehow end up deleting them.  I probably delete more food shots than anything lately.  Above is a lemon, basil risotto with parmesan, lots of parmesan.  

Below is a family favourite.  Curry mac and cheese.  



Quite a long time ago, Getty Images had said they were looking for images of domestic scenes - the dishes in the sink, for example.  Well, here I am, months later.  But it was the first time the light and the dishes and me convened in the appropriate ways.





"How much better is silence; the coffee-cup, the table.  How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake.  Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee-cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself."

~ Woolf, The Waves


To enjoy these domestic scenes, to sink into them.  To be not tired, but elated.  These are among my summer goals.

Yesterday, in between the dishes and the cooking and the walking of the dog, running errands and forcing the teenager to hang out with me, I also wrote a poem and took a hundred photos.  I knew that today there would be next to none of that - it's a 'work' day, at the paying job.  Woke up early and revised the poem, monkeyed a little, though not much, with the photos.  Such nice light lately, even on the grey days.


"To be not tired, but elated, I sing this song"

~ Anne Waldman {read the poem "Giant Night" here}





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...