Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

a part of the storm



T H E   E V E R Y D A Y 

by Olav H. Hauge
translated by Robert Hedin

The great storms
are behind you now.
Back then you never asked
why you were or
where you came from, where you were going,
you were simply a part of the storm,
the fire.
But it's possible to live
in the everyday as well,
the quiet gray day,
to plant potatoes, rake leaves,
or haul brush.
There's so much to think about here in this world,
one life's not enough.
After work you can roast pork
and read Chinese poetry.
Old Laertes cleared brambles
and hoed around his fig trees,
and let the heroes battle it out at Troy.





Isn't it true that one life is not enough to think about all those things we would wish to ponder. To just sit for an afternoon and think about light. To think about seeds floating on the wind.  Their weightlessness when everything else seems so heavy.



I have been positively staggering through this last week of summer holidays with a teenager. How exhausting it's been - the emotional bits, the errands, the mad shopping, the heavy drinking (kidding, well, sort of kidding) and balancing these out with work.  On the positive side of things, I had made a list at the beginning of the week, all those small chores that I wanted to finish off with so that when school starts next week for C. and I have a moment alone, I can use the time to write, to think, to breathe. Which I shouldn't even say, for fear of jinxing those first few days. But the list, for the most part, has been accomplished. Crossed off.  Crumpled up.

 Last night, as a sort of 'calgon take me away' moment, I watched Miss Austen Regrets, which came with Sense and Sensibility, the 2008 version.  (Who knows why I just got to watching it now).  I mean, a person could sit here and pick it all apart, but I was quite frankly in the mood to enjoy and enjoy I did.   Just what I needed. I also thoroughly enjoyed the S&S version. Parts in Emma Thompson's version were maybe better, but then, so were parts in this version. We've been watching so much British television lately it's surprising we're not speaking with accents. I finally watched the first two series of Downton Abbey, caught up on series two of Sherlocke, and we are all eagerly looking forward to Dr. Who this Saturday. Any other British TV I've been missing out on? What do you like to watch when you need an intelligent escape?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...