Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

not so remarkable




Sssh

by Rolf Jacobsen

Sssh the sea says
Sssh the small waves at the shore say, sssh
Not so violent, not
So haughty, not
So remarkable.
Sssh
Say the tips of the waves
Crowding around the headland's
Surf. Sssh
they say to people
This is our earth,
Our eternity.



Sh, begins my name, and I've always found it an interesting sound.  It really does work on babies, at least it did work on mine, fourteen years ago.  Hush.  Shhh.  It's a sound that used to be associated with libraries (which is where I work), but this is no longer the case, at least not at the public library. And thank goodness for that, in my opinion.

When light speaks through objects, through those things it illuminates and changes, it tells us shhh, which quiets, but also soothes.  It says, listen, listen, listen.  Shh, shh, shh.  

All summer I've had the lines by Virginia Woolf tacked up on the bottom of my computer screen:

"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself."

They've been a bit of a mantra for me this summer, these words.  I can't read them often enough.



1 comment:

  1. Yours is such a lovely thought: "when light speaks through objects"--and you always show that, so graciously you make us listen through your images.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...