Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

souls catching light




“But I also say this: that light is an invitation to happiness, and that happiness, when it's done right, is a kind of holiness, palpable and redemptive. ”

~ Mary Oliver



“We have come into this exquisite world to experience ever and ever more deeply our divine courage, freedom and light!”
~ Hafiz




“A poet is someone who can pour light into a cup, then raise it to nourish your beautiful parched, holy mouth.”

~ Hafiz




"One of the most calming and powerful actions you can do to intervene in a stormy world is to stand up and show your soul. Struggling souls catch light from other souls who are fully lit and willing to show it."


~ Clarissa Pinkola Est├ęs
 
{This last quotation is from her piece titled, "Letter to a Young Activist During Troubled Times."}



Sometimes I think it's enough, to just put these writers side by side, and let their words speak to each other.  Hafiz, Mary Oliver and Clarissa Pinkola Estes.  John O'Donohue is in there somewhere, even if he's not been quoted.

The light in the photographs hopefully will speak as well.

I'm a little obsessed with capturing light, capturing bokeh, right now. August is nearly over, and yes, next comes autumn light, and winter light.  But there is something about this late August light, that is like a knot in my throat. I find it to be so emotional.  I keep going out into the backyard and taking basically the same photograph over and over.  The sunflowers, the roses, the zinnias, the back steps, the teak chairs.  Can't seem to stop myself.


But this next one - that's the one that hits me the most.  I wonder what it would look like blown up large...might have to order myself a copy to carry me through winter.


2 comments:

  1. "But there is something about this late August light, that is like a knot in my throat."

    I could not have said it better.
    What a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL POST!!!
    i LOVE it.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...