Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

behold



BEHOLD

~ Anonymous, 19th century, Hawaiian

Above, above
all birds in air

below, below
all earth's flowers

inland, inland
all forest trees

seaward, seaward
all ocean fish

sing out and say
again the refrain

Behold this lovely world




Just trying to slow down my seeing lately.  This is the fence I walk along with the dog many mornings.

Thinking about how it changes every day. A flower will appear amid the weeds and grass, for example.

It's not the most beautiful fence, not the most picturesque. Still, one can behold the lovely world, even along such an expanse of grid wire.  Beside the field which is beside the highway, even there the world can be lovely. Behold, behold.

Look it over.




LOOK IT OVER

BY WENDELL BERRY

I leave behind even
my walking stick. My knife
is in my pocket, but that
I have forgot. I bring
no car, no cell phone,
no computer, no camera,
no CD player, no fax, no
TV, not even a book. I go
into the woods. I sit on
a log provided at no cost.
It is the earth I've come to,
the earth itself, sadly
abused by the stupidity
only humans are capable of
but, as ever, itself. Free.
A bargain! Get it while it lasts.


{from New Collected Poems}







1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...