Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

hopes and invitations



L A T E   F R A G M E N T 

by Raymond Carver

And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth.



F R O M   A   L E T T E R  T O   H I S   D A U G H T E R

by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Finish each day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities
no doubt have crept in;
forget them as soon as you can.

Tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely
and with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with
your old nonsense.

This day is all that is
good and fair.
It is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations
to waste a moment on yesterdays.





I know I've posted the Emerson poem before, some time ago.  But I felt the need to hear it again myself this morning.

And the Carver poem.  Somehow puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

Both of these poems appear in she walks in beauty, edited by Caroline Kennedy, and I've popped it on my shelf, as usual, above.



2 comments:

  1. You walk in beauty and take those who will see with you--never forget how much that means to so many!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely thoughts and pix today, Shawna. Happy first day of school. Are you singing, too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...