Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

I join the birds


Song of the Flower
by Kahlil Gibran

I am a kind word uttered and repeated
By the voice of Nature;
I am a star fallen from the
Blue tent upon the green carpet.
I am the daughter of the elements
With whom Winter conceived;
To whom Spring gave birth; I was
Reared in the lap of Summer and I
Slept in the bed of Autumn.

At dawn I unite with the breeze
To announce the coming of light;
At eventide I join the birds
In bidding the light farewell.

The plains are decorated with
My beautiful colors, and the air
Is scented with my fragrance.

As I embrace Slumber the eyes of
Night watch over me, and as I
Awaken I stare at the sun, which is
The only eye of the day.

I drink dew for wine, and hearken to
The voices of the birds, and dance
To the rhythmic swaying of the grass.

I am the lover's gift; I am the wedding wreath;
I am the memory of a moment of happiness;
I am the last gift of the living to the dead;
I am a part of joy and a part of sorrow.

But I look up high to see only the light,
And never look down to see my shadow.
This is wisdom which man must learn.



So here it is Friday, once again, and a work day for me.  So - a flying post, many photos - clearing out my folder to start fresh next week.  Do you know, I've never read much of Kahlil Gibran - I think partly because when I worked in a bookstore in my twenties, The Prophet was so popular, and the cover of it was so ugly. These days, I'd read the book just to see why it's so popular with so many people, to make up my own mind. Just to know - what is it that people are craving from such a book.  


Have a gorgeous day, a beautiful weekend, and enjoy this big mess of random backyard photos......
















1 comment:

  1. I happen to love this mess of lovely backyard photos :)
    There was one line in Gibran's poem here that really stopped me in my [reading] tracks: "I am the last gift of the living to the dead;" ... deep meaning for me. Funny how a single line can do that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...