Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

feather by feather



Keeping It Simple


BY MARY RUEFLE
I take the bird on the woodpile,
separate it from its function, feather
by feather. I blow up its scale.
I make a whole life out of it:
everywhere I am, its sense of loitering
lights on my shoulder.





I've just begin reading Mary Ruefle's poems and essays....quite enamoured with both, I have to say.  Will write more when I've digested them more fully.  The essays particularly speak to me, but her poetic voice seems to me wonderfully unique. That beautiful, off-kilter thing - where you don't quite know where you're being taken. As with the poem above, how keeping it simple really is anything but simple.

Some photos, of the end of the season, another beginning. It seems that October will end up being about rain, rather than snow after all.




Speaking of feathers, leaves always seem to me like feathers when the trees have de-plumed.  What bird were these from?  





4 comments:

  1. I love the image of a de-plumed tree. Beautiful as always Shawna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were Kafe Fassat I would be making a sweater pattern of those leaves right now . . .
    And, oh, that rose. Made me gasp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they are from the willow-bird ;~)
    lovely images as always

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. I love the painting of the red velvet. I came across it on google images. Its divine. Anna Stewart www.bulliesinbusiness.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...