Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

an exercise




From an interview with Mary Oliver in the Boston Globe:


BOOKS: Is there a book that you recommend to your students?
OLIVER: No, but I used to have an exercise: I’d say, “Find a poem by a poet you love, read it every morning for a month.’’ Pretty soon they’d have it memorized. I wouldn’t tell them that was what they were doing. People would come in spouting page after page of T.S. Eliot.




I said something similar to that the last couple of classes I taught. Bears repeating. Pick a poem, or pick a book, read it repeatedly. Anyone can do this, though. Find a poem you love...it will become part of your skin, your DNA.  


I almost didn't post anything today because it's difficult to take in all the browns, the drabness of this inbetween season. Mostly the sky has been grey, just the odd glimpse of blue. 




Did someone set this leaf here, or did it catch?



I have this impulse to turn everything into black and white.....just to escape the browns....



Home after the walk.  How I admire this black beauty his ability to squeeze into a sunbeam and sleep so soundly in the middle of the day.


1 comment:

  1. His ability to indulge without question is a lesson worth repeating :-) I love Mary Oliver. She is an inspiration as are you and all of the wonderful words and pictures you share with your readers.
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...