Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

the cellular level




I'm still turning to the book of conversations with the poet Li-Young Lee (the book is on my recommended shelf above).  He's talking at one point about the mandalas that are made by Tibetan monks, from coloured sand. How when they're done they dump the sand into a river.

So, it's the making of the thing that matters. How that changes you.

He says, "...we don't trust the possibility that after having written the poem you're changed on a cellular level, and I think repeatedly doing that with your mind it really changes you physically."  

He also believes that reading literature also changes a person at the cellular level.

I agree completely with this. That I have been changed completely by reading, by writing, especially writing poetry. In the constant attempt to put my mind in the way of poetry.

I'm exactly who I ever was, but there is this thread that has long been woven into my being, becomes more tangled, more difficult to trace, to explain.

Which leads me to the photograph. My daughter's hands around a ball of twine made from recycled saris. (An Anthropologie splurge...)


3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love this- I'm exactly who I ever was, but there is this thread that has long been woven into my being, becomes more tangled, more difficult to trace, to explain.

    So powerful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's testament that this post hits others of us in the same way: What I was going to type first was "Oh my, I love this ..." and then I saw that Staci has written exactly that! No surprise.

    Yes I too believe that reading and/or writing changes us. I believe that deeply. Writing rescued me from the time I was a pre-teen. Although I no longer write seriously, or to share my writing with others, but I do write. And that act weaves through who I am and my being. It always will. Reading as well, even my choices of what I read, have changed me. There is so much that could be said about this. Love this post so very much -- and your photo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous, stunning photo and posting...you others have said it so very well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...