Thursday, December 6, 2012

cake



One day this week, I had a request for vanilla cake, a sort of  'consolation for having to suffer through the tedious horribleness that is junior high cake,' and since I was working at home that day, it seemed possible. So I dialed up Martha Stewart on the internet and found a recipe that seemed quite simple. The cake turned out. Don't ask me why, I had the desire to make the icing pink. And it's a little too pink, and there wasn't quite enough to go around. But since it was just for us, it seemed okay that the cake showed through. It's just a real, ordinary, homemade thing, which did the trick in so far as filling the request and for being consolatory.


I took a few shots with my Nikon. They're okay. I mean, I didn't linger, we just wanted to eat the cake. And the sun goes down so. very. early.  So there wasn't a ton of natural light.




So then I pulled out my phone and the trusty hipstamatic app.  (Which is similar to instagram in some ways). And I took a silly number of photos because it was fun. And here they are.

(Sidebar note - did you know that Emily Dickinson was quite a baker?)

(I, quite obviously, am not).












3 comments:

  1. You've made me want to go and bake a cake now! And what a nice mother you are. I agree, junior high is pretty horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is one magical fairy rainbow unicorn cake! Those shots are just great! LOVE them! And the cake even more, being a consolatory cake and all . . . Probably it wasn't intentional but the icing betrays a bit of heartbreak. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly the kind of cake that males me go weak in the knees....it tugs at my heart strings. Want to cut me a piece, sit on a sofa with feet up....and eat very quietly and slowly.....

    ReplyDelete