Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

trying to be unfamiliar


"I am trying to check my habits of seeing, to counter them for the sake of greater freshness. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I am doing."

~ John Cage


A quick post, a tired one, too. Insomnia last night, the usual. A few nights in a row leave one feeling rather tender, rather breakable.

But what I wanted to do was to post some photos I recently took, and that I like, but have little to say about. It feels like ground I've already covered, in some ways. The photos are familiar - I've taken similar ones before.

This sort of feeling happens when you're writing too - suddenly what you're doing seems ridiculous - you've already said what you're saying. But maybe it's a more refined saying. When you're in it - it's difficult to see. Then it's time to check your habits, of seeing, of saying. To take some time out from the making and sit and reflect upon how to become unfamiliar again.










{the following baked goods are from The Enjoy Center's bakery.....}




















1 comment:

  1. Ah, the night time . . . I live there, too. Don't shake things up too much.
    I enjoy the photos of your baking much more than the E.C. (currently boycotting, but even if I weren't . . .) Home baking is much more enjoyable as it is predictable in it's unpredictability. Stick to your knitting, I've heard it said, and I say, yes please.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...