Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

are we not of interest to each other?



Something led me this morning to the poem read at Barack Obama's inauguration. The poem by Elizabeth Alexander - Praise for the Day.  I liked it when I first heard it, but how does it hold up now? Apart from the occasion? Apart from its original purpose. Or can we separate it from that?


Each day we go about our business,
walking past each other, catching each other’s
eyes or not, about to speak or speaking.

All about us is noise. All about us is
noise and bramble, thorn and din, each
one of our ancestors on our tongues.



{read the rest here}

For me it still has things to say, different ways to be heard. Here's another one by her, which begins, "poetry is idiosyncratic" and ends, "are we not of interest to each other?" Indeed. Do we not wish to know those things, for example, that we each praise? To learn about each other in this way?  What do you praise? I like her line about 'figuring it out at the kitchen table."

I praise those who scribble quietly in notebooks at cafe tables. And I praise the way roses open on a winter day. I praise those who drink their coffee in the early morning dark, planning their busy day. I praise those who read library books, poetry, late at night in the corner of a room, a glass of red wine on the table beside them.



I have to run out this morning, early, on errands, appointments. Missing my dog walk....

But will leave you with some more rose photos. They were too lovely to pass up. And possibly more to come.....














2 comments:

  1. I praise your rose photos Shawna! Glad you didn't pass them up. They are the same colour as this morning's sun on the frosty trees in the school yard this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I amuse myself by trying to describe the colours in the natural world, as they seem impossible. These are too gorgeous for words. Thanks for sharing these pix. Always makes my day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...